Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Perfect Portrait


If photography judges ever took one look at the above photo, they would surely rip it into shreds. The reason I have titled this blog "The Perfect Portrait" is because of how the photo makes my heart feel rather than all of the composition and technical aspects. You can see the grass outside is blown out and yellow with no detail. It's what is on the inside that matters to me.

This is Mr. Franklin. I grew up and met him through First Baptist Church in Smithville, and he is a soft spot on my heart without doubt. I went to college and lost touch; however, I reconnected with him about 8 or so years ago. My Grandpa and Granddaddy have been gone a long time, but Mr. Franklin is like a granddad to me. A few details about Mr. Franklin - he will be 95 at the end of November, he is a veteran who fought (and SURVIVED) on the beaches of Normandy, he really, really loves other people, and his sense of humor is unmatched. He grows a large, beautiful garden that is kept completely weed-free and shares (BIG time) with anyone who stops by to visit. Before the summer ended, he said that he wanted me to come in late September to photograph his grapes when they ripened. So...I did...and I wouldn't have missed it. When I got there, I think we talked and ate more grapes than I took photographs (note what he's doing in the photo)! He will even share his secret for the best way to eat them. They were simply delicious, and I have some really nice colorful photographs to share with him. It is a treat for me every time I pull in his driveway.

If there is someone that you love and haven't seen in awhile, make it a point to TAKE TIME for a visit. It will warm your soul better than hot chocolate ever could...

c-ya!

No comments: